Thursday, September 14, 2006

Kannada nursery rhyme

Remember this sweet creation of Dr. G.P. Rajarathnam?

naayi mari naayi mari tindi bayke?
tindi bayku teertha bayku yella bayku

naayi mari naayi mari tindi tindu yeenu maaduve?
tindi tindu gattiyaagi maneya kaayuve

naayi mari naayi mari kallabandareenu maaduve?
bow wow bow endu koogiyaaduve


I recently translated this into English. Here it is, to be sung as a rap song ;)

yo puppy yo puppy whadya wanting?
gimme food gimme drink gimme eeeeverything

yo puppy yo puppy whadya gonna do when you're done eating?
i'm gonna protect your shack when i'm done eating

yo puppy yo puppy whadya gonna do when the hoods come knocking?
then i'm gonna bow and wow and give'm a proper baarking

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful... Bahala Sogasagidey...

Anonymous said...

bahala chennagide. I am in Australia and would appreciate if you could let me know where can I get the bunch of kannada nursery rhymes.
Thanks

Unknown said...

Hi Vinil, thanks. Check this out - 39 Kannada rhymes with subtitles/ captions: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=chakrira&p=r.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you took the time to post this nursery rhyme. I remember learning Kannada in first
standard in an English Medium school. I had to memorize this poem. Its really awesome.

Thanks for the effort and time you have taken. Brings back precious memories of childhood.

Anonymous said...

Cute, In Bangalore, we had to learn
kannada, even though we went to an English Medium school. This was the first poem we had to memorize in second standard, I guess, or maybe in first grade, It's been several years. But still the poem is memorable. Thank once again.

Anonymous said...

I had learnt it as
Nayi mari nayi mari tindi beke?
Tindi beku teertha beku, yella beku

Nayi mari ninage tindi yaake beku
tindu gaTiyagi maneya kaayabeku

Nayi mari kaLa bandareenu maDuve
Lul Lul Bhov yendu koogi aaduve

JaNa mari taLu hogi tinDi taruvenu
Taa, ninna maneya naanu kayutiruvenu :)

Unknown said...

Interesting variation :) I wonder what's the original...

Unknown said...

In youtube there are many rhymes...you can get them there

Anonymous said...

It's 2023 and I referred this page to teach my first grader kid who has to learn this rhymes in kannada class. I am from north so I don't have good grasp of kannada language, but I m so glad that my kids are learning it