Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Petites pensées


My Ganesha Theory.

Contrary to popular belief, Ganesha is not a remover of obstacles. Instead, he has the power to change your perception of and reaction to obstacles. He gives you the strength and resourcefulness to accept your challenges and overcome them.

Struggling Tigers stop hot Indians.

This was a news headline I saw. Sounds like an adventure in an Indian jungle, or perhaps even a Sri Lankan jungle, eh? Well this is actually a sports news headline - these are names of American baseball teams: Detroit Tigers and Cleveland Indians :)

The Telebanking Voice.

I would like to confess an irrational hatred that I harbour in my heart. I hate the voice of the lady used for my bank's telebanking system - if a real lady exists behind that voice, I think I actually hate the lady herself. I think there is some subliminal thingie going on inside me which is causing such a reaction. That lady sounds pompous, supercilious, condescending, hypocritical, and oozes feigned friendliness. Perhaps this voice reveals my bank's attitude towards their customers? Everytime I hear her say "Thank you for calling (bankname)", I interpret that as "Hey sucker, you will suffer for disturbing me. I will now take you through various menu options and loan advertisements until you get frustrated. This is not your lucky day. You will never reach a human operator. Wuhaha!".

The low cut conspiracy.

I have recently arrived at the realization that traditional Indian women's attires are getting bolder in their designs. Once upon an innocent time, a churidar or salwar kameez was considered conservative in their coverage. Now, the necklines, both back and front, have reached new depths. The sides are turning into grids with holes in them. The long-repressed belly button now gets to peek out and see the world. Gosh, this is shocking. What is going on? Is there a silent rebellion underway? Is this a conspiracy of male attire designers to emancipate the conservative Indian woman? Or are they just listening to the hushed requests of women to help reveal their beauty while appearing superficially traditional? Or perhaps is it simply one of the effects of global warming, driving women to demand more air-circulation?

No comments: